Overlooked lawn safety procedures!
I know, you already "know" but that is what almost every single person says. These statistics prove otherwise. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons "more than 532,000 ladder injuries, nearly 119,000 garden tool-related injuries and approximately 226,000 lawn mowing injuries were treated in hospital emergency rooms, doctors' offices and clinics in 2007". That is a staggering number and most are avoidable with simple safety precautions.
Lawn Mower Safety:
1. Do not mow gravel or other items that can be "shot out"
2. Watch the hills, most mowers are made for flat surfaces. If your property has hills, here are a few suggestions from our friends at Garden Know.
3. When mowing wear a tough (leather) shoe with good tread.
4. Read the owners manual.
1. Make sure the "kill switch" works. Just in case it starts getting away or something quickly pops out you will need control of the engine and quickly.
2. Wear eye proper protection.
3. Ensure all safety devices are operational.
4. Don't tip the machine sideways. This is one of the easiest ways to have projectiles start flying.
These are not exhaustive lists but they are very effective ways to make sure you remain safe! We love the Finger Lakes community and want to help ensure its safety! Leave a comment below with some other tips you can think of!